Skip to main content

It's Christmas Time Again: his story-a christmas story


Greetings, all!

Here is the second installment in my Christmas blog post series!

I wrote this Christmas story yesterday, and wanted to share it will you guys. I hope you enjoy it!

*


I hold her hand tight. Her dark eyes are fixed on mine; her other hand rests on her round stomach. Her breath comes in short gasps.
It is almost time.
Night is falling and the air is cool. White stars flicker in the darkening sky. The donkey snorts; it skirts a large rock with care, as if it knows how priceless its burden is-the one yet to be born.
The Son of God.
I can see the first of the buildings of my home town in the distance. A flicker of light shows in a window; some inhabitants are still awake. I urge our beast up a slight incline.
The pressure in my hand increases. I look up at my wife. Sweat drips from her forehead. “Joseph…”
I let go of her hand and lay mine on her cheek. “We’re almost there.” I pull the rope tied around the donkey’s neck and hasten forward.
Mary’s eyes close and she grips the lead rope so tight I can see the blue veins in her hand.
The donkey and I stumble onwards. Rocks spew in all directions, kicked up by our feet. Mary’s gasping breaths come faster now. I slide to a stop before the first house and pound on the door until I hear voices inside. An old man opens the door, his keen eyes glittering underneath heavy white brows. I nod my head in respect, and ask for the home of my relatives. He answers, pointing out a small collection of homes in the distance. I thank him and hurry on, conscious ever of Mary’s sighs of pain.
Why had Yahweh entrusted us with his Son? And why at this time? Surely He would have known we would be forced to return to our ancestral town for the census.
The donkey slips, nearly falling. Mary does not scream but grips my shoulder hard as I help the beast. We are nearing the homes.
The night sky above is now dotted with cold stars. One seems to grow larger the longer you look at it; its brilliance overshadows the others around it.
We reach the first of the buildings in the cluster of dwellings. My relatives’ is the third in the line, a small dark home with one window. My heart sinks as I help Mary off the donkey and up the steps to the door. There will not be enough room. I know that before the apologetic woman at the door finishes speaking. I plead with her nonetheless.
“There must be someplace you can put us!” I motion to Mary. “Her time is very near. We can not have the child on the street!”
Mary moans softly, her grip on my arm unbearably strong. I turn back to the woman. “Please!” I am shouting now.
A man’s face appears above the woman’s shoulder. “Put them in the stable,” he says. “They can not come in.”
I lift Mary in my arms and half run, half stagger to the rear of the house. A small hollow in the hill behind the building offers shelter to a motley assortment of sheep. I push my way through and clear a space for Mary, removing my outer cloak and laying it on the hard ground.
The kind woman from the house comes to the entrance of the small cave with some cloth and water. She hands them to me. “It’s the best I can do,” she says, then hurries back the way she came.
I look at the clothes she gave us. Rough material, such as they bury the dead in. Unfit, surely, to wrap the Prince of Peace in. But it is all we have.
The labor is long and painful. I pray for my wife and the child as Mary’s cries grow louder and more agonizing.
Near midnight, a baby’s cry splits the cold night air.
Exhausted, Mary hands Him to me after His first feeding. I wrap Him in the swaddling clothes and lay Him on the only available surface; the animals’ feeding trough. A manger for a King’s bed.
I sit next to my wife and take her hand in mine. She smiles at me. “Isn’t He beautiful?”
We stare at the Son of God. So small, so helpless. I do not understand why Yahweh would choose to send the Messiah in such a form, but I do know that for a short time it will be my burden to raise Him.
Our burden. I smile back at Mary. “He is perfect.”
And although I know the future is full of trials and darkness, for this one small moment, there is light and peace.
For God is with us. 

written by MiddleEarthMusician, December 17th, 2018. 
*



Did you like it? It’s my first entry into quasi-flash fiction writing, first person present POV, and nativity stories. I had a ton of fun writing it. :-D

Are you all excited about Christmas? It’s in exactly one week! Eeee!

Namarie, 

Comments

  1. It’s so good, MeM! :) Excellent job, and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicole!!! Merry Christmas to you as well!!!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful. I love the tenderness and doubt you portrayed. 😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing-wise, it's really good MEM. I like your style of writing.

    But....

    Some of the elements of the story felt very skewed, and kept me from enjoying it. The reality of the Christmas story is so much different. Much more solemn, much more joyful. Yours seemed to be distressed and rushed.

    Granted, St. Joseph did worry. I'm sure of that. But Mary? She trusted Joseph (and God) completely. She was prepared and calm throughout the whole process. And I don't believe that Her labor was painful - that would shatter the whole tradition of Silent Night, besides contradict quite a few mystics and traditions in the early Church.

    I'd love to see more of your writing - forgive me for being bluntly honest with this little story!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your honesty, Catherine! I'm not sure I entirely agree with you, but I do see your reasons. Thank you for taking the time to explain them. :-)
      Don't worry, I hope you shall! <3

      Delete
  4. This is amazing! I'm new to the blogging world, but I love your profile! I, too, am a Christian, so this story was great. It also makes me happy that someone else loves TSfH and Artemis Fowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Thunderbird!!! Very pleased to meet you. :-D Thank you!!! I'm so glad you liked it. YES for TSfH and Artemis Fowl. (I love your profile picture, btw. XD)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Stationary Tag

Greetings and Happy Leap Day, my friends!  I got tagged by the lovely Rachel at R's Loft to participate in this stationary tag that was created by Bethany who blogs at Scribbled Fiction ! Many thanks for tagging me, Rachel!!! And many thanks to Bethany for creating this tag. :D There’s little in the world I love more than pens and notebooks…of course, I don’t often actually write in my notebooks but still. They’re amazing. XP 

My Camp Nano Project: Of Seas, Silver, and Shipmates.

Greetings, all!  Since Camp Nano is almost over...HOW IS IT ALREADY ALMOST THE END OF JULY???...ahem, I decided to share a little of what I've been working on this month.  Introducing,  Synopsis Eden Claire is an orphaned serving girl in England. Living her lonely life working in the library of a boarding school, she begins to think that she must always settle for less, and that her dreams of comradeship, adventure, and sailing to unknown lands must slowly dwindle away to nothing. However, when an old forgotten acquaintance shows up on her doorstep with a note left to Eden by her father, those dreams might just become rekindled; dreams that will take Eden to wild escapades on the high seas. Eden must outwit the notorious Damian the Black Hearted and his gang of pirates in her quest for her father’s treasure, but she cannot do it alone-she will need the help of others. Can she learn how important true friendship is, even at the cost of losing the treasure…and

Random Blog Party Pt. 3-Art Competition!!!

Greetings, all! Welcome to part three of the Random Blog Party!!! (Don’t forget to read parts one and two if you haven’t yet!!!) Today we are announcing the Random Blog Party Art Competition!!! Rules: 1.        Draw/paint/sketch/color/carve/sculpt/splatter/or whatever something random from your favorite fandom! 2.        Content must be appropriate for ALL AGES. G for General Audiences. 3.          Post your art on your blog/social media platform and comment with the link on THIS POST by midnight (12:00am) on Wednesday, May 13 th , 2020. 4.        Sadly, there will no actual prize (sorry! we will give out virtual cookies and pizza though) but we will highlight the winners’ artworks on our blog posts! We will be awarding Best Artwork, Most Creative, and Our Personal Favorite. 5.        If you have any questions, feel free to ask! We’re nice people. Hope you artists out there will join our competition!!! Can’t wait to see what you all come