Skip to main content

Introducing My WIP: The Ship's Log


Greetings, all!







Today I will be introducing my July Nano project, The Ship’s Log. I’ve been planning and sort-of writing this WIP since early January, and so far it’s my favorite story that I’ve written. I love it so much.

And you know, when an author loves a story, it usually means that much pain is inflicted on the characters and story world.

Ahem.

Anyway.





Synopsis

(I don’t have a real synopsis yet, so here is an aesthetic thingy that I put together for it as well as a collage.)



true friends\\broken-down ship\\bazooka mops\\forgotten memories\\hidden pasts\\death slugs\\loud music\\stars\\chocolate chip cookies\\fire-breathing kangaroos\\ex-convicts\\long-lost family\\color grenades\\bad jokes\\no sleep\\choices 





Characters

(Okay, I have a TON of characters, so bear with me here. And don’t get too confused. XP)



MC: Mavi Ken 

(aesthetic credit goes to Queen Magnificent-thanks so much for making this, friend!) 


Mavi was a journalist in Nylkoorb, Kroy Wen (an inner planet) before getting framed for a crime she didn’t commit. She can’t remember much of her past, and the government officials who rescued her from an abandoned warehouse know nothing of her former life. She is snarky, reserved, lost, broken, fiercely loyal, quirky, unaware that is she amusing, and a deadly opponent.

Current position: Second in Command Officer aboard The Brick

Preferred Weapon(s)-Hand to hand combat, knives



Dani Kin

(credit for this collage goes to Red Writer. Thank you so much for making this!!!) 


Current Position: Captain aboard The Brick

Preferred Weapon(s): voice-activated, electro battle-axe



Clay 
Current Position: Janitor aboard The Brick

Preferred Weapon(s): mop-can turn into bazooka gun or laser cannon



Davis 

Current Position: Pilot aboard The Brick

Preferred Weapon(s): 45 Gauntlet blasters



Mari
 
Current Position: Ship’s gunner

Preferred Weapon(s): Kroy Wen 89 shotgun and samurai sword



Julie 
Current Position: Nurse aboard The Brick

Preferred Weapon(s): pocket book containing multiple poisons, mini-tech, small blades, and tiny explosives



Robert J. Ericson
Current Position: Ship’s doctor

Preferred Weapon(s): electro broadsword



Jase 
Current Position: Researcher aboard The Brick 

Preferred Weapon(s): explosive knives



Lynne 
Current Position: Ship’s diplomat

Preferred Weapon(s): double-bladed retractable electro sword



Cole
Current Position: Ship’s mechanic\doubles as security  

Preferred Weapon(s): titanium boomerang



Gayle 
Current Position: Ship’s cook

Preferred Weapon(s): old fashioned Western pistols with upgraded laser bullets



Nala 
Current Position: Assistant ship’s cook

Preferred Weapon(s): color and smoke grenades



Liyah Kin 
Current Position: Nurse aboard The Brick

Preferred Weapon(s): disintegrator ray



Leeka 
(this is what she would look like if she didn't dye her hair)

(this is what she looks like in the novel) 


Current Position: N\A (she wanders the galaxy, is a mad scientist, and shows when needed)

Preferred Weapon(s): deafening rock music, knock-out spray



Chey 
Current Position: (spoilers XP)

Preferred Weapon(s): electro bow and poison tipped arrows



Shaenaw
Current Position: (more spoilers XD)

Preferred Weapon(s): her mind



Finley
Current Position: (hehehehehehehehe…spoilers)

Preferred Weapon(s): police issue 37 solid bullet gun



Villain: Necro Dirk  

(I shall not say anything about him, ‘cause spoilers. XP)



Playlist

Every WIP needs a playlist, right?



Snippets

Mwuahahahahahahahahaha…

*

It’s a new year. And with a new year comes new resolutions. And the new resolution the loyal members of the junk ship The Brick decided on is to start-and keep-a ship’s log. A brilliant resolution, seeing as we’ve been a crew for six months and standard procedure is to start the ship’s log the day of official departure into space as a crew.

We’re just a little late.   

Unfortunately, the Captain is too busy to keep the log, the doctor insisted that “he is a doctor, not a chronicler!”, and the cook fell asleep in the middle of our new year’s resolutions meeting.

So, guess who gets the job of keeping the log.

That would be me.

Commander Mavi Ken at your service.

*

Two big mischievous eyes, one dirt brown and one sky blue, looked up at me with complete innocence while the creature they belonged to shoved a chocolatey chunk into its mouth and chewed with relish. 

I jerked upright in my seat. “Liam!”

The kangaroo hopped a few feet away then sat back on its haunches and grinned at me. I clambered to my feet and tripped over a stack of holo-pedias and notes, still rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. Liam chuckled at me.

“You blasted marsupial!” I found my balance and staggered upright, clutching the back of my chair. Liam hopped another yard or so away and made boxing motions at me. “I’m assuming you found the cake Gayle made yesterday?” I advanced on the grinning kangaroo. He chortled and bounded out the door.

I gave chase.

*

Dani nodded. “I don’t want any of you to be put into unnecessary danger.” She looked around at the crew. “I suppose I should tell you the whole story. Then I will tell you what we plan to do about it. If you choose not to come with us; that is up to you. I can’t force you to go along with it, nor can I guarantee that if you do join us you will come back alive.” She looked at each crew member carefully.

I furrowed my brow, struck by something she said. “Dani?”

“Hmm.” She glanced absently at me.

“You kept saying ‘us’ and ‘we’. But there’s only one of you. Who’s the other person?” 

“That would be you.”

“So I don’t get a choice to stay behind.”

“Nope.”

*

“I don’t want you two to die!”

And at her words, the entire meeting room erupted into chaos.

Dani shouted above the clamor of voices. “Guys! Guys, be quiet! We’re not going to die!” But no one listened.

So I grabbed my d-pad and turning the volume on full blast, pressed the latest soundpiece I had just downloaded.

It was titled Death Slug Being Impaled on a Carrot Stick.

And I’m not entirely sure how, but that is exactly what it sounded like. And it got everyone’s attention.

*

Aannd…that’s all I have for ya’ll today. XD



So…what do you think of my WIP? Are you doing Camp Nano? And do you create playlists for your novels\stories?

Namarie!

Comments

  1. Oooh, this sounds so awesome, MEM. :D It reminds me a little of Star Trek (because of the name: Ship's Log.) Also your collages are so awesome. <3
    The snippets are AMAZING, I love the last one, since "Death Slug Being Impaled on a Carrot Stick" is such a funny title. :)
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Quinley!!! Yeah, it kind of was inspired by Star Trek. XP Thank you so much!!! <33
      XD Thanks!!! I love it too. XP

      Delete
  2. I would NOT get on Clay's bad side. Always, always make sure your shoes are clean before walking over Clay's freshly mopped floors. :I

    I read the kangaroo snippet WAAAAY too fast and didn't realize it was an actual marsupial and just thought that was how she insulted people. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. It would not be wise to track mud onto his mopped floors. XP
      Omw. That is amazing. XD XD

      Delete
  3. Those collages though! *heart eyes*
    THIS LOOKS AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, wow, I had no idea there were so many characters in this story. Heheh... WOW. *eyeballs pop out and roll on the floor*

    Anyway, I can't wait to read more of the story! Though I am hoping that more of us come into the story...? Death Slug being Impaled on a Carrot Stick. *shakes head in awe* Pure genius. XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD *picks up your eyeballs and hands them to you* YES. There is a lot. XD

      Yeeeeeeeeeee!!! You will have to wait and see... ;-D INDEED. I LOVE IT. XD <33

      Delete
  5. I seriously love that song name.

    Also WHERE CAN I GET SOME OF THESE WEAPONS BECAUSE THESE ARE THE BEST THINGS EVER. I'VE NEVER FANGIRLED OVER WEAPONS BEFORE NOW. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. X'D Thank you muchly. XD

      YEEEEEEEEEEE! I'M SO GLAD YOU LIKE THEM. <33

      Delete
  6. AMAZING!!!! I LOVE the characters and snippets. Are you going to publish it because I'd LOVE to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! I'm so glad!!! I would definitely like to!!! I will probably also open it up for beta readers sometime in the future. ;-D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Stationary Tag

Greetings and Happy Leap Day, my friends!  I got tagged by the lovely Rachel at R's Loft to participate in this stationary tag that was created by Bethany who blogs at Scribbled Fiction ! Many thanks for tagging me, Rachel!!! And many thanks to Bethany for creating this tag. :D There’s little in the world I love more than pens and notebooks…of course, I don’t often actually write in my notebooks but still. They’re amazing. XP 

Random Blog Party Pt. 3-Art Competition!!!

Greetings, all! Welcome to part three of the Random Blog Party!!! (Don’t forget to read parts one and two if you haven’t yet!!!) Today we are announcing the Random Blog Party Art Competition!!! Rules: 1.        Draw/paint/sketch/color/carve/sculpt/splatter/or whatever something random from your favorite fandom! 2.        Content must be appropriate for ALL AGES. G for General Audiences. 3.          Post your art on your blog/social media platform and comment with the link on THIS POST by midnight (12:00am) on Wednesday, May 13 th , 2020. 4.        Sadly, there will no actual prize (sorry! we will give out virtual cookies and pizza though) but we will highlight the winners’ artworks on our blog posts! We will be awarding Best Artwork, Most Creative, and Our Personal Favorite. 5.        If you have any questions, feel free to ask! We’re nice people. Hope you artists out there will join our competition!!! Can’t wait to see what you all come

My Camp Nano Project: Of Seas, Silver, and Shipmates.

Greetings, all!  Since Camp Nano is almost over...HOW IS IT ALREADY ALMOST THE END OF JULY???...ahem, I decided to share a little of what I've been working on this month.  Introducing,  Synopsis Eden Claire is an orphaned serving girl in England. Living her lonely life working in the library of a boarding school, she begins to think that she must always settle for less, and that her dreams of comradeship, adventure, and sailing to unknown lands must slowly dwindle away to nothing. However, when an old forgotten acquaintance shows up on her doorstep with a note left to Eden by her father, those dreams might just become rekindled; dreams that will take Eden to wild escapades on the high seas. Eden must outwit the notorious Damian the Black Hearted and his gang of pirates in her quest for her father’s treasure, but she cannot do it alone-she will need the help of others. Can she learn how important true friendship is, even at the cost of losing the treasure…and